Saturday, November 1, 2008

Buying local



Local bookstores have had difficulty competing with big box stores for years, and more recently, online businesses such as Amazon. Just this month Olsson's, a local chain, closed its doors. The local list of casualties for the past year also includes
  • A Likely Story Bookstore, a beloved children’s bookshop
  • Chapters Literary Bookstore suspended business, but hopes to make a comeback
  • Karibu Books, offering books by and for people of African descent
  • Candida’s World of Books
Vertigo Books , in College Park, is in trouble. I go there a few times a year as College Park is off the beaten path for me.
I read in the Washington Post this week that public libraries are busier than ever, as people go to the library instead of buying books. Now that tax revenues are down, libraries will have to cut back. I have made a conscious effort to get books at the library and cut back on my book buying for the last couple of years. I read a lot of mysteries and now that a mass market paperback averages $6.99 and up, I buy fewer of those. These days, I tend to save my book buying money for books I am likely to hold on to.

Like LYS's I can't imagine not having bookstores to browse in.
Look at these - most interesting bookstores in the world.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last weekend, we were mesmerized by a bookstore in Laguna Beach - http://www.lagunabeachbooks.com/

It made me realize how much I miss bookstores like that. My grandparents owned a bookstore in Alexandria, so it's a long lost love of mine, too. We still have P&P, thank heavens, but I get caught up in the Barnes & Noble world.

Knitredsox said...

I agree totally. Reminds me of that Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movie- You've Got Mail.